- A roadmap to becoming a modern WordPress Engineer
- 42: Or, the key skill needed for everything
- Who is a beginner for this roadmap?
- The goal of this roadmap
- The constraints for the roadmap to WordPress Engineering in an Agency environment
- The constraints to the roadmap to WordPress Engineering for Freelancers Defining additional constraints for the problem space
- Deliberate constraints for effectiveness of the roadmap
Constraints on freelancers
All said and done for full time professionals (like experienced employees in an agency), the time spent on working on projects is way more profitable than time spent on learning. For an employee, at least there’s scope for an employer supporting their training by giving them some time off or sponsoring at least a part of the course fee. For freelancers, every hour spent training is an immediate loss in income.
Also, freelancers (or even remote workers) work from home. However hard you try, working from home can be pretty distracting and it can get difficult to devote time to and more importantly, focus on a learning program.
Third, it’s difficult for a freelancer to get the kind of ready mentoring and guidance that is easily available to an agency employee.
As in the case of agency employees, existing training programs can be quite expensive and/or unreliable.
- The roadmap still could be a one time activity since it’d be very difficult to find time again and again. So, the roadmap still has to include unstructured problem solving and learning strategies.
- However, since freelancers may find it difficult to find focus and mentorship, there must be regular supervised classroom instruction. (The classroom can be virtual).
- Freelancers will not be able to devote a lot of time, so the roadmap must be completed within the time allotted for supervised training.
- The roadmap therefore must be chunked into micro-lessons but can be of a longer duration than in an agency environment.
- The other aspects are the same as that in an agency environment, viz, the outcome should be demonstrable and measurable and the learner should be able to apply their learning into production as soon as possible.